Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Animal encounters

I saw a bunny this morning. (Snapshots count as art...so I decided to add it to the blog. I had to crop the photo too, so that makes it so much more than pointing and shooting, right?)
Anyway, (lol) I was walking from Uni and I saw this baby rabbit happily munching on the foliage. I tried to get my phone out as quickly and smoothly as possible. The photo was taken just as it was about to run off because a particularly noisy (and obnoxious) car came by and the rabbit decided it was time to hop off.
Earlier that morning I saw a Blue jay. That was fabulous because, I'd never seen one up close before. I've always seen cardinals, which I thought were pretty neat, but never a blue jay. The significance being that they are the only two birds I'm aware of in my city that are completely one color. Not just a splash of red, touches of yellow, or a green cowl, the whole bird is this brilliant, vibrant color.
I thought those two sightings were the coolest things ever, and given the crappy quality of the rest of my day, they were decidedly the highlight of it. I think it's really weird how excited most of us get about seeing wildlife. We're so far removed from nature in our little worlds, that any animal encounter is precious.

On the topic of birds, here's another example, this shot was taken a number of years ago as a gift for my mother. These birds lived close to our house, and would fly over in a very specific pattern, constantly chatting to each other to harvest our dog's fur that had been shed all over the yard, presumably for their nest. My Mum loved these birds and it really brightened her day to see them while they were around.
It took me hours and hours of waiting to get just a handful of good photos. She appreciated the gift and so it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment