Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Carousel Magazine




I recently accepted the position of Assistant Managing Editor for Carousel Magazine. It's apparently not as daunting as it sounds. I'm responsible for getting mail, organizing events and trying to get out submissions manager programme in order.



Last year I organized a poetry reading and release party for our newest issue: Carousel 27. It was a lot of work, but I made some good off campus contacts and everything went smoothly, despite its low turn-out. I'm hoping to make things bigger this year. The key is recruitment and getting the word out about the magazine.

Carousel 27: 2011 Summer
Right now, I'm desperately trying to recruit new members. We did not have a whole lot of people last year. On the poetry committee it was just the Poetry Editor and myself. Which was fine, but more people means you actually get a discussion going about the pieces.  I've gotten things sorted with the CSA and not it's time to tackle individual Departments, well actually just the English and Theatre Studies School. I'll probably also contact the university newspaper and try to get either an ad or have a short story run about the magazine.

The thing is, undergrads are busy. They're always busy and their schedules are inflexible, this is a fact of life. So it's hard to convince them to join a club when they have so many other commitments. I'm a grad student, the Poetry Editor is a Grad student. The new Fiction Editor is an undergrad, but she doesn't have any other committee members.

I've loved being a part of Carousel. I've read some...not so awesome poems (ugh...rhyming couplets....*shudder*). But I have also read some fantastic stuff. Things that have moved me and made me think. Some of the things I liked have been published, others have not. I still got the pleasure of reading these pieces.

Being a part of the magazine would be a great opportunity for anyone interested in getting published, publishing or just as a neat thing to add to their resume. 
I'm sure it will all work out. It's just going to be a push.

No comments:

Post a Comment