Monday, May 28, 2012

You'll be in my heart...


I am the most romantic person ever...
and why HitRecord is fantastic. 

I recently joined an online community called HitRecord. It's fabulous!

The really short version is that Joseph Gordon-Levitt runs this production company that combines the collaborations of its members into a monetized product. I'll be honest, the site is lovely and there's lots of neat work, but if Joseph Gordon-Levitt ever recognizes anything I do, I might die from squee.

I'll write more about the site because it's very late and I'm supposed to be working on a manuscript. 

Anyhoo, while there are many collaborations going on at any given time, the one that they're promoting right now is called The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories Volume 2. They have a made a call for writers to write tiny stories (2-4 lines) and artists to illustrate them.

It's neat because I just get to sift through the list of naked stories (i.e. stories without illustrations) and get inspired to create. 

One such story was called "Shh". It was a lovely little story regarding a tiny space in someone’s heart for their lover. This is where my thoughts went.
I’m such a romantic.
I painted this in response to a romantic quote regarding there being a tiny space in someone’s heart for their lover. My thoughts immediately went to parasitology…

Nothing says romance like parasitology.
The painting wasn't as popular as I would have liked (there is a sort of ratings system so the 'cream rises to the top'), but I'm still super proud of this. It took hours to get the drawing done and there was a lot of tracing paper used. I also had to do a lot of layering of the watercolors to get the final version vibrant enough. Mostly this was: pthalo blue (red shade), windsor red, alizarin crimson, rose madder and a hint of rose violet. The heart worm was done with a light wash of lemon yellow.
This painting also taught me a valuable lesson: You know you're place needs cleaning when you lose your favorite shade of red (carmine, which I was unable to include).

That's all for now. I'll post the other painting I did for the Tiny Stories later this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment