Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Abstract Adventure: Assignment 1

Hiya,

So my next quest in the 21 Secrets playground is the Abstract Adventure with Connie Hozvicka. It's been pretty interesting. My first asignment was to paint using the FEARLESS(TM) technique. It was pretty cool. So while the course focuses on abstract painting, it is mostly about being in the moment and being absorbed in what you're doing.

So, this the set up in my new studio at the new house:





The studio and the bedroom and pretty much all I've managed to sort out.



What I quite like about this workshop is that it focuses on painting BIG. Whenever I paint, it's usually tiny little things with a discrete plan and I spend most of my time hunched over my precious little treasure. In this workshop we use cheapy-cheap paint and just give'er on the biggest page we can find. It's great! You stand up at an easel or a wall and really get into what you're doing. It really gives me an opportunity to put my body behind the brushstrokes.



So, this is what I came up with after my first attempt at the first assignment which was to focus on getting colour down:



I'm not terribly pleased with it for a couple of reasons. 1) I don't mind how it looks, I'm just not thrilled. I'm really not a fan of muddy colours. I prefer my pigments to mix/blend well and vibrantly. There were a couple of spots where I mixed complementary colours or even black accidentally and the result was not pleasing 2) I really wasn't really doing the assignment. I didn't set an intention before I started, I wasn't really going with my gut, my mind was not focused AT ALL and I think it's reflected in outcome. Needless to say, I gave it another go.



Here's my Round Two:







I really like how it turned out. My intention was "Cathartic Peace". I'd been under a lot of stress lately and the intention was appropriate.



Here's another shot. I quite like it, I feel it gets across what I was aiming for a bit better than a view straight on.





Later I will get around to Assignment 2, which focuses on the use of Line.







No comments:

Post a Comment