Monday, January 23, 2012

Returning from Haitus


Doodles: Lab-book Mandalas
Haitus is such a lovely sounding word. I like to imagine that it is the name of a wonderful land of peace and tranquility. Swaying trees and stretching undulating meadows.
So, I have returned, apparently. My winter break is officially over. My life is still a bit of a mess, but I really want to keep up the blog, so here I am again.
This post will be short, because I might be at work right now (shifty eyes), but I wanted to just do it and get it done because I've been putting it off.

I've been writing a fan fiction lately which I've been enjoying immensely. I've also been farting around with my tools, doodling and such, but not producing any full pieces lately. I think the direction of the blog will change, but we shall see.

What I shall show you now, however is my dad's Christmas gift. Since fathers are impossible to buy for, I tend to get him a small gift and then just art it up for his big gift. Things were crazy and I didn't have the focus to paint him something (from a photo or still-life) so I decided on making him a really nice mandala as a gift. They're really nice to make and its a super meditative process. Here it is below.

Most of it was done using watercolour pencils and DerWent Inktense pencils which are absolutely lovely. The deep blue background was painted with a bucket of indigo watercolour. The whole thing was done on a 'watercolour' illustration board of the cold-pressed variety which I hope was made of cotton, but I wasn't really sure. Getting art supplies in the Bahamas is a bit of a hassle, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're ever in the area.



When I'm not shirking my duties as a productive PhD student I will post about my trip home with some photos of dangerous wildlife.
For now, Ciao. 
And a Happy Belated New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment