Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Draw Happy: Drawing Tools

This was my drawing tool test page. I had a stripe of Windsor Newton Canary Yellow ink, Crimson Acrylic, White Gesso, Black Gesso, Blue guash in ultramarine, and a strip of clear gesso.
I was impressed by how matte the clear gesso was, making it quite easy to draw on. The black gesso was neat, but obviously has a limited number of colors that can be drawn on top.
The acrylic was incredibly difficult to draw on, it was way too shiny. The Guash was much easier to work with as it was surprisingly matte. If I were to use this acrylic again, I would have to put a layer of clear gesso on top.
I love working in pen (I tend to use the felt-tip kind), but the surfaces they can be used in are limited. Perhaps a brush pen would be easier.
Overall, I was impressed with the ways that gesso can be used on paper. I had never really thought to use it like that as the paper is already "primed"


No comments:

Post a Comment