Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hot Start by C.B.




  


So, I've been waiting around to hear whether or not I placed in the Charles Prize for poetry. It's not that I'm arrogant enough to believe that I'll win (or place), but it's really the only outcome that actually has any effect on my life. I came across this poem that was submitted to the competition.

 It's the most sensual science poem I've ever read. I want to post it here, but I don't think I have the right, so I'll post the link to it.

http://www.theexaminingroom.com/2011/09/hot-start/

It is lovely! I want to print it out and tape it next to our PCR machines. I'm pretty sure it's actually about sequencing (i.e. finding out what the DNA code is for a particular gene etc), but it sounds like a PCR reaction too. 
This is how a PCR reaction works to make copies of a gene/sequence of interest.

My reaction to it was unusual. At first is made me feel a bit critical because I thought it was just an erotic (which says something about me). Then I realized what it was about and it was like I had just gotten a joke. 

I wonder if I can contact this C.B. person. His/her poetry is really lovely. I wish I could write science poetry like that, but it always comes out strained. My science poems tend to bet ironic or humorous.

After reading this poem, I feel that, unless the judges like humor poems, I'm not sure I stand a chance (haha). I don't mind though. If I'm completing against stuff like this, then I'm all for the best poet winning.









No comments:

Post a Comment