Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mumford and Sons at the Copps Colosseum





On Wednesday I saw Mumford and Sons at the Copps Colosseum. They were phenomenal. Just thinking about it now makes my heart go all "poundy" and my chest get tight.

I fell in love with them when I first heard "Little Lion Man" back when it first became popular. I remember the day exactly. I heard it on the radio early one morning before I had fully woken up and I liked it in my slightly awake state, but didn't hear what it was, and who had created such glory. Later that morning, I was driving out to pick up some elk from a local farm (really, I was) and finally, the heavens smiled on me and the song came back on the radio (as they do). I fell in love with them, then and there. Literally. Soon, I had bought  their album off of itunes, listened to every song, searching for the lyrics I couldn't quite get from listening, dissecting the lyrics as best I could and searching the internet for concert tickets. At the time, that Little Lion Man came out in Canada, you could not find a ticket to any of their concerts in north America. I kid you not, every. single. concert was sold. out!

I pined and pined. But satisfied myself with listening to their cd, while being frustrated that there wasn't more. I needed more. For me a good musician/musical group is like crack. I listen and listen to their stuff over and over again until it gives me a headache, and then I listen some more.
When I talk about them I get so excited and go on about them in such a way that people may suspect that I am getting paid to promote them. I always jokingly (seriously?) say that I want to have their babies. Which is crass, I know, but I suppose is a female equivalent of "I'd do her" when guys talk about an attractive female celebrity.

All of this brings me to the day my beau and I were in the car going somewhere, I don't even remember, the ad went something like this...

"The Romans went to the colosseum to watch gladiators battle lions for entertainment.... Well,  we have a little lion man...(que "not your fault but mine")"
My initial reaction was heart palpitations of excitement. and looking lovingly and my man and begging him with my excitement to take me (I'm a student and therefore have no money...don't judge). I was bouncing in my seat, I thought I was going to combust. Eventually, we got around to buying tickets and finally, we were at the show. 
Ok, so back to my original statement: They were phenomenal. They delivered a perfect performance, the music was on, the vocals were on and they were so pumped to be there. They were just loving their lives and what they were doing. It was really wonderful to watch. We also got to watch Marcus play drums for one of the songs which was a bit of a treat because they apparently rarely/never do that. However, my favorite performer, for sheer enthusiasm was Ben Lovette the keyboard player. He was just so excited. Towards the end of the show he was playing an upright piano and somehow his seat went rolling across the stage. He had stood up to crash at the piano with such force that his seat flew away. It was funny, but also moving to watch people who are so into what they're doing nothing else matters.

It is really great to watch a group of musicians who actually know what they're doing live. Hurah for not lip-syncing, or just sounding terrible. This is one of the reasons, I'm mildly supportive of things like American Idol. I don't actually watch it, but I like the idea. You create a system where people are given the opportunity to really shine because they have actual talent, rather than just having money to buy a music career.

Anyway, when they come back to Canada, I will see them again. I had a blast, my hands felt like they were bleeding from clapping so hard, my voice was hoarse from screaming and belting lyrics at the top of my lungs and I passed out in the car on the way home. It was really money well spent.


No comments:

Post a Comment