Sunday, November 6, 2011

Water Color Pencil Test-grid

I've been wanting to do some text patches of my watercolours for some time. Last night I got around to testing out some new watercolor pencils.

They are Staedtler Karat Aquarelle Pencils. They're really quite nice. I never thought much about using water colour pencils seriously before. I think I must have only used cheap pencils and I imagine that the effect is similar to using cheap water colour paints.

Anyway, it was actually quite fun to do. So I've obviously got the colours laid out horizontally. Vertically, I have different 'effects'. The first Row is just the pencil to see how that looks on watercolour paper. The second row is the pencil with a water wash over it. Then I have a dry pencil on a wet pace and then a wet pencil on a wet page.

It looks like a chart from a catalog.
It was working out so well, I grabbed my watercolour crayons and had a go with them. They were the same brand and were exactly the same colours, except for maybe two. I did the same thing with those: dry, dry with wet wash and dry on wet.

Some of the colours are really quite nice. However, I definitely prefer the pencils over the crayons. I have a lot more control with them and they don't break while you're using them.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment